020 7394 4040
Landlord & TenancyTenancy AgreementsTenancy Agreement for a Room

Tenancy Agreement for a Room


Reference: 9781909104433
England & Wales - eForm
Scotland - eForm

Product Description

This “Download Now” Tenancy Agreement for a Room will take away the difficulty of creating a house share agreement/flat share agreement (with a non-resident landlord).

Our tenancy agreement for a room has been endorsed by the NLA (National Landlords Association)...so you can be confident that it is the right legal form for you.

Plus this room tenancy agreement has been approved by Anthony Gold Solicitors, leading experts in Landlord and Tenant Law...so you can be sure that it is legally binding and up to date.

If you want to rent out a room in a furnished house or flat shared with other tenants, our house share agreement/flat share agreement is all you need to put it in writing.

This tenancy agreement for a room comes in two versions, according to where the rental property is located:

  1. A tenancy agreement template form for creating an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for property in England & Wales 
  2. A tenancy agreement template form for creating a Short Assured Tenancy for property in Scotland. Note: Short Assured Tenancies can not be created after 30 November 2017 - see below.

Each house share agreement/flat share agreement is for use where the tenant is living in a room in a property where you, as landlord, are not resident.

Under this house share agreement, the tenant has exclusive occupation of his/her designated room and will share the use and facilities of the house or flat (e.g. bathroom, toilet, kitchen and sitting room) with other occupiers of the furnished property.

Each flat share tenancy agreement form can be given to the tenant(s) at the start of the tenancy so that you have a written record of the tenant's obligations, how the tenant’s deposit money is to be handled and how the tenancy agreement can be ended.

Each tenancy agreement for a room download sets out the obligations of the landlord and the tenant(s), and comes with expert guidance notes showing clearly how to complete the form and create a legally-binding tenancy agreement.

Your “Download Now” Tenancy Agreement for a Room will cover all the important issues, including:

  • Details of the rent amount and frequency of rent payments.
  • Deposit amount.
  • Tenant's obligation to keep the property in good condition.
  • Tenant's obligation to pay service bills and council tax.
  • Tenant's obligation to not keep pets.
  • Landlord's obligation to keep the property in repair.
  • Landlord's obligation to insure the property.
  • What happens at the end of the tenancy.

The Tenancy Agreement for a Room download for Scotland also includes the important Form AT5 (Scottish Notice of a Short Assured Tenancy) and a Repairing Standard provisions template letter, both of which must be given to your tenant before the tenancy agreement is signed and dated. Both these forms include expert guidance on how to complete them.

How to complete this Tenancy Agreement for renting out a Room

  • Complete the tenancy agreement form (and any accompanying documents) using the guidance provided.
  • Print two copies from your tenancy agreement download.
  • Have both copies signed by you and your tenant.
  • Give one signed copy to your tenant.


Tenant Fees Act 2019

The Lawpack Assured Shorthold Tenancy for England & Wales has been updated and amended in light of the Tenant Fees Act 2019, which comes into effect from 1 June 2019.


New tenancy agreements in Scotland from 1 December 2017

From 1 December 2017, Short Assured Tenancies can no longer be created in Scotland; they are being replaced by Private Residential Tenancy agreements. The last day a  Short Assured Tenancy Agreement can be used to create a tenancy is 30 November 2017.


Compulsory landlord registration and licensing in Wales by 23 November 2016
Under the Housing (Wales) Act 2014, all landlords who have rental property in Wales which is rented out, are required to register and to either be licensed themselves if they're ‘self-managing’ or use a licensed agent. Registrations are carried out by Rent Smart Wales. For more information visit www.rentsmart.gov.wales.The deadline for registration is 23 November 2016.

England Law Changes effective from 1st October 2015

These changes do not apply to tenancies in Wales or Scotland

1. Government’s ‘How to Rent’ guide

For all tenancies beginning on or after 1st October 2015, landlords must provide their tenants with a copy of the government’s ‘How to Rent’ guide.

This is available to download here.

The ‘How to Rent’ guide can be provided to the tenant by email, where the tenant has notified the landlord of an email address for service. Otherwise, it must be printed off and provided to the tenant.

There is also no requirement for the landlord to re-serve the ‘How to Rent’ every time it is updated.

2. New section 21 Notice
The government has issued a new statutory section 21 notice for England which must be used when terminating tenancies which begin on or after 1st October 2015. This replaces the current section 21 notice, and can be used for tenancies which began before 1st October 2015.

Additionally, for a section 21 notice to be validly served the tenant must have at some prior stage received:

a valid Energy Performance Certificate and
a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Certificate.

The final version of the new section 21 notice has yet to be released by the government, and will be available from the Lawpack site.

Tenancy deposits in England & Wales

Following new rules introduced in April 2007, the deposit for all new Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements must be placed within a government-authorised tenancy deposit scheme.

The landlord must provide details of the chosen deposit scheme to the tenant within 14 days of receipt of the deposit. Landlords can notify their tenant of the deposit scheme by using our Tenancy Deposit Protection (Section 213 Notice). Links to the deposit schemes are contained within this tenancy agreement download.

Tenancy deposits in Scotland

Tenancy deposit protection regulations came into force in Scotland on 2 July 2012. When placing a deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme, a form must be used to provide the tenant with information on where their deposit is secured. Landlords can ensure that they provide the correct information to their tenants by using our Tenancy Deposit Protection Form for Scotland.

Information on deposit protection scheme providers can be found on the Scottish government website.

Legal Notes for England & Wales

  1. If the total amount of rent exceeds £100,000 per annum, an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement cannot be created and this house share agreement/flat share agreement is not appropriate. If you wish to create a tenancy agreement whose rent will exceed £100,000 per annum, you can use our Contractual Tenancy Agreement (Non-Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement).

  2. In general, if the tenant currently occupies the property under a protected or statutory tenancy and they give it up to take a new tenancy of the same or other accommodation owned by you as landlord, that tenancy cannot be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and this house share agreement/flat share agreement is not appropriate.

  3. If the tenant currently occupies the property under an Assured Tenancy which is not an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, you, as landlord, are not permitted to grant the tenant an Assured Shorthold Tenancy of this property or of alternative property and this house share agreement/flat share agreement is not appropriate.

Legal Note for Scotland - Tenant Information Packs

In Scotland, all Short Assured Tenancies which commence after 1 May 2013 require the provision of a tenant information pack to the tenant. Failure to provide a pack is a criminal offence punishable by a fine in the magistrates court. The pack must include a statement of the tenancy terms (usually the tenancy agreement), a copy of any AT5 notice served (required to create an SAT), a copy of the landlords gas safety certificate, and the specified tenant information pack document contained within the Tenant Information Packs (Assured Tenancies) (Scotland) Order 2013. Tenant information packs are available to download from the Scottish government website.

Other information

  • Letting to students: choosing a house share agreement

Technical Specifications


Dear Customer, Thank you for purchasing our paper products. Updates & Downloads for our paper DIY Kits To access the downloadable forms and legal updates relevant to the paper DIY Kit you have purchased, please click on the appropriate product link...

Category: Updates and downloads

Established in 1993, Lawpack is the UK’s leading provider of legal forms and DIY legal kits. We also produce a range of legal guides and have just launched our new legal services, which can help you to write a Will...

Category: Uncategorized

What is a company resolution? A company resolution is an official record of the decision of the directors or members of a company. Once a resolution is passed, the company is bound by it. If a majority is not reached...

Category: Company management articles

Poor health and safety can leads to illness and accidents, and significant costs for your business. Employers who take their responsibilities seriously and follow the correct health and safety procedures improve the productivity of their businesses and increase their reputation...

Category: Employment contract articles