Starting and Running a Business FAQs

I am going into a business partnership; do I need a business partnership agreement?
It's always best to have a business partnership deed so that if anything should happen to one of the business partners, or you should fall out, there is a legal agreement entered into at the start which establishes how the business partnership should be dissolved and how the assets and liabilities allocated.
What's the effect on my council tax banding if I work from home?
If you are an employee, so long as your employer agrees that you can work from home (and whether or not your employer provides you with equipment to carry out such work), you may be entitled to seek a reduction in council tax on the ground that the room you use as an office can no longer be used, for example as a bedroom.

It would be advisable for you not to hold business meetings at your home, because too many of those might constitute a change of use and cause other problems with your local council.
Will I have to pay business rates working from home?
Your business rates depend on the space occupied by your business - contact your local authority for advice.
How do I pay myself from my company?
In principle, you can either pay yourself from your own company by a salary (which could be in the form of a bonus or other remuneration) or, so long as you hold shares in the company and there are profits out of which to pay it, you could pay yourself a dividend.

If you are paid a salary from your own company, normal PAYE rules apply.

If you are paid a dividend, your company doesn't have to pay any tax over at the time of making the distribution. This is because dividends can only be paid out of profits which have already been taxed. In principle, dividends are now a more tax-efficient way of withdrawing profits from a company than salary.

If you have lent money to your company and that company wishes you to be able to withdraw some of that loan (to have it paid back), there would be no tax involved with any such repayment.

It would be advisable for you not to hold business meetings at your home, because too many of those might constitute a change of use and cause other problems with your local council.
How do I tell HM Revenue & Customs that I am self-employed?
When you become self-employed you must register with HMRC within three months from the end of the month in which your self-employment commenced.

You can tell HMRC that you are self-employed by completing and sending forms CWF1 (Notification of Self-Employment) and CA5601 (Application to Pay Class 2 Contributions by Direct Debit).

If your profits are below £6,475 for 2020/21, you can claim exemption from paying Class 2 contributions.
I am setting up my own business and don't intend to trade under my own name. What must I do?
All you need do is prepare a notice and display it where any customers, visitors, etc. can see it.
As a sole trader, what am I personally liable for in respect of the business?
As a sole trader you are personally liable for any debts or losses incurred by the business.
I don't need to raise any finance for my new business venture; should I still prepare a financial statement?
No, but you should still have a business plan stating what you are planning to do and what you want to achieve.

Prepare a table or spreadsheet including your planned figures, for example, the prospective number of customers, the average value of each sale, your sales income, materials bought, overheads, profit, etc.
What health and safety information must I provide to my employees?
In order to comply with the law, you should provide the following:

1. The Health and Safety Law poster/leaflet

2. The location of first aiders and the first aid box

3. The location of the accident book

4. The health and safety policy document
I've just started a business; what are the first things I should do regarding health and safety?
If you are starting a commercial or industrial business and are employing people, you're legally obliged to notify your local Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector or local authority.

If your business involves manufacturing or processing or providing a service such as dry cleaning or telephone repairs, ring the Health and Safety Executive's Infoline (tel. 0300 790 6787) and they will send you a Health and Safety form to complete.

If your business is a shop, office, restaurant, hotel, launderette or residential home, your local authority's environmental health department will send you a form.

If you are in doubt as to who to register with, telephone the Health and Safety Executive 's Infoline (tel. 0300 790 6787).
I've started my own business; when must I start adding VAT onto my business invoices?
For most new businesses, you must start adding VAT onto your business invoices when your turnover exceeds £85,000 a year (2020 figure).
Do I need a licence to run a catering business from home?
Any catering or food business must register with its local authority's environmental health department at least 28 days before opening.
What is a limited company?
A limited company is a legal entity, separate from any individual involved. A limited company is run by individuals who have specific responsibilities but it owns its own assets; it's liable for its own debts and those who use and run limited companies must always remember that, for example, the money in a company’s bank account belongs to the limited company and not to the company directors, nor to the shareholders. Being a separate legal entity means that a limited company must be run according to set rules and the government department primarily responsible for ensuring that a limited company adheres to those rules is Companies House.
What types of limited company are there?
There are seven types of limited company:

1. Private companies: Used mainly by small businesses.

2. Public companies: Used by larger businesses.

3. Companies limited by guarantee: This type of company has no share capital. Companies limited by guarantee are used mainly by charities and the way they are run is substantially the same as for private companies. The member’s liability is limited to an amount the member has personally guaranteed to contribute to the assets of the company if it is wound up; this guarantee also applies for a period of one year after membership has ceased.

4. European Public Companies (EPCs): Useful for businesses operating in more than one EU member state.

5. Overseas companies: Companies that are not registered in the UK.

6. Unlimited companies: Like normal companies but the members’ liability is not limited. Unlimited companies don't have to file accounts at Companies House and they can be converted to limited and vice versa. Unlimited companies are relatively rare.

7. Community Interest Companies (CICs): Started in 2004 to allow socially minded entrepreneurs to make profits for good causes. CICs pay tax, file accounts at Companies House but they cannot be a charity.

In addition to the above there are also:

8. Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs): Not companies as such but, for the purposes of administration, LLPs have to follow broadly similar rules to those for private companies.

9. Right to Manage Companies (RTMs) and Commonhold Associations (CAs): Both of these were introduced in 2002 but they are all limited by guarantee.

10. Single Member Companies: Private companies that have just one shareholder. They are treated the same as all private companies. Companies limited by guarantee can also be Single Member Companies.


Dear Customer, Thank you for purchasing our paper products. Updates & Downloads for our paper DIY Kits To access the downloadable forms and legal updates relevant to the paper DIY Kit you have purchased, please click on the appropriate product link...

Category: Updates and downloads

Established in 1993, Lawpack is the UK’s leading provider of legal forms and DIY legal kits. We also produce a range of legal guides and have just launched our new legal services, which can help you to write a Will...

Category: Uncategorized

What is a company resolution? A company resolution is an official record of the decision of the directors or members of a company. Once a resolution is passed, the company is bound by it. If a majority is not reached...

Category: Company management articles

Poor health and safety can leads to illness and accidents, and significant costs for your business. Employers who take their responsibilities seriously and follow the correct health and safety procedures improve the productivity of their businesses and increase their reputation...

Category: Employment contract articles