Make sure you renew your tax credits by 31 July
The deadline for renewing Working Tax Credit (WTC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) is 31st July 2014. If you receive tax credits, make sure that you renew them by this date or your payments will stop and you'll be sent a summary.
Your claim for tax credits will then end 30 days after you are sent the summary if you don’t send your renewal.
HMRC has issued its top tips on how to go about renewing:
- You should have received a renewal pack from HMRC before 30 June. If you haven't received your pack, you should contact the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900.
- You only need to reply to HMRC by 31 July 2014 if you receive both an Annual Declaration form (TC603D or TC603D2) and an Annual Review notice (TC603R). You can renew your tax credits online, if you received a TC603D form. But if you received a TC603D2 form, you can only renew your tax credits by phone or by post.
- If you receive only an Annual Review notice, your claim will be renewed automatically, so you don't need to get in touch with HMRC.
- Check all the information in your renewal pack and ensure that all the changes reported in the previous year are included. Contact the Tax Credit office if it isn't correct.
- If any changes are required, contact the Tax Credit Helpline, or in writing.
- When contacting the helpline make sure that you have your NI number and password (if you have one) plus the amount of your household's total income for the previous tax year.
- Even if you're no longer eligible for the current year, you should follow the instructions on the form to confirm your claim for the previous year.
For more information on claiming tax credits, Lawpack's bestselling guide Tax Answers at a Glance can help. Packed full of tax tips and advice on the maze of taxes and credits available.
Published on: July 7, 2014
Did you like this article? Share it!