by Daniel Jones
Landlords have a significant number of responsibilities they must meet, one of which is to ensure that gas safety standards are met in all their properties.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has told how it prosecuted two brothers in Dudley after they failed to obtain the necessary gas safety certificates for a property they rented out. They have now been ordered to pay fines and costs of more than £3,000.
Philip Hale and Roger Hale from Brierley Hill were investigated after the local council realised that it had no record of a gas safety certificate for a home in Himley Street. They later admitted that they hadn't had one for eight years.
Both men pleaded guilty to breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, with Philip Hale fined £1,000 and Roger Hale fined £1,500 for the offence. Each of the men were also told that they must pay £464 in costs.
HSE inspector Pam Folsom reflected on the case after the sentences were passed, explaining that the brothers potentially put lives and buildings at risk by failing to act on their duties as landlords.
"It is essential landlords have gas appliances inspected annually. Well- maintained appliances reduce the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and dangerous gas leaks. Gas safety records are a legal requirement and give tenants the peace of mind they deserve when it comes to the safety of the appliances in their homes," she stated.
In the case in Dudley, tenants told the HSE that they had never seen any evidence of gas safety obligations being met or the required documentation being held at any point during the five years that they had been living there.
Ms Folsom said that the HSE will have no hesitation in prosecuting any landlords who fail to have their gas appliances checked every year.
As such, it's imperative that landlords do all they can to make their properties gas safe if they are to avoid significant punishments.
Published on: February 3, 2014