Do I need a 'legal copy' of my deed poll?

Our Deed Polls are accepted by all UK government departments, including the UK Passport Office and the DVLA. 

However, when you tell organisations about your change of name by Deed Poll many will not accept a photocopy of your Deed Poll document. These organisations include the DVLA, Passport Office, Land Registry and some financial institutions.

In the past people have not wanted to 'risk' their original Deed Poll getting lost, creased or damaged in the post. So they have had to pay extra on top to get a solicitor to certify that a photocopy of the Deed Poll is a true copy of the original. 'Certified copies' of a Deed Poll are treated as originals by organisations. The fee for a certified copy service is usually about £15.

With our DIY Deed Poll Kit there is no need for you to get 'certified copies' of your Deed Poll.

With our DIY Deed Poll Kit you can, in effect, make any number of ‘original’ copies. Simply print off five or six copies of our Deed Poll form, complete them and get them all signed and witnessed by the same person, and send an ‘original’ to each organization.. You must ensure that these all read exactly the same and are identically completed. 

Your Deed Poll form will be accepted by all all UK government departments, including the UK Identity & Passport Service and the DVLA.

Related Articles:

Published on: October 4, 2010

Did you like this article? Share it!

Change Your Name Officially By Deed Poll

Change name deed poll advert

With our Deed Poll Kit you can change your name quickly and without fuss from the comfort of your own home.

Read More