Why do I need a deed poll to change my name?

In order to change your name officially you need to officially change your name. 

A Deed Poll is the legal form that does this.

For whatever reason you have chosen to change your name you will want to get all your official documents and official records changed to be in your new name. Things like your UK passport, your bank accounts, your driving license and so on. You will be asked to provide documentary evidence of your change of name…

And this is when you need a Deed Poll.

When changing your name by Deed Poll, you simply write to everyone, enclosing copies of your Deed Poll, and ask that your name is changed to your chosen new name.

What names can I change with a Deed Poll?

With a Deed Poll, you can change just about any name you want to any name you want!

You can change your forenames or surname. You can add or remove names. You can rearrange your existing names. In fact, as long as you are not changing your name with the intention of deceiving someone, you can change your name when you want and how you want.

What can’t a Deed Poll do?

There are some things a Deed Poll cannot change your name for. These are all historical records that cannot be changed, simply because they are historical records.

So your Deed Poll will not be able to change the name that appears on your birth certificate, marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, divorce decree absolute certificate or any educational or professional certificates that you hold.

But, there are lots more things a Deed Poll Kit can do.

Related Articles:

Published on: October 4, 2010

Did you like this article? Share it!

Change Your Name Officially By Deed Poll

Change name deed poll advert

With our Deed Poll Kit you can change your name quickly and without fuss from the comfort of your own home.

Read More